Table of Contents
- New Approaches to Medical Education
- Parallel Approaches to the Ethical Component
- A Brief Overview of Content and Approach Used
- Advice on How to Use This Book
2. It's a Different World
- Medical Practice, Research, and Ethics
- Technological Innovations, New Conceptualizations and Ethics
- The Need for Education in Ethics
3. Introduction to Ethics
- Axiological Framework
- Basic Concepts and Definitions
- Three Ethical Bases
- Ethical Bases (Theories) and Values Clarification
- Moral Discourse and Moral Reasoning
- Agent Accountability
- Model I
- Basic Approach
- Biomedical Moral Discourse
4. Sources of Ethical Decision Making
- Consequentialism (Teleology): What Is Good Behavior?
- Non-Consequentialism (Deontology): What Is Right Behavior?
- Existentialism: What Is Authentic Behavior?
- Synthesis: Good, Right, and Authentic Behavior
5. Moderators Influencing Ethical Decision Making
- Model II
- A Comprehensive Approach
6. The Process of Ethical Decision Making
7. Biomedical Ethical Principles
- Five Biomedical Ethical Principles
- Models of Medical Practice
8. Putting Theory into Action
- A Trial Run with Model
- A Trial Run with Model II
- The Right to Live Longer
- Who, Really, Has the Final Say?
- Anencephalic Babies as Organ Donors
- Alternative Therapy
- Experimental Procedure
- Penalizing a Physician
- Physicians, Pharmaceutical Companies and Gifts
- Physician as Finder for a Fee
- The Right to Die
- Helping to Alleviate Suffering before Death
- Abort One Twin
- Abort Some
- Many Fetuses
- Demand for Continuing Futile Therapy
- Full Disclosure: Whose Responsibility?
- Physician, Please Remain Silent (I)
- Physician, Please Remain Silent (II)
- Surrogate Motherhood: Where Is the Boundary?
- Faith and Healing?
- Cost-Benefit Ratio and Health Care
- Who Has the Final Right to Decide?
- Profits Versus Patient Care
- Life or Death for a Baby
- Consulting as Conflict of Interest
- Should There Be a Limit?
- Patient's Rights Versus Physician's Decisions
- Public Good or Corporate Profit?
- Humanitarian Intervention or Opportunity Missed?
- Whose Needs Come First?
- Royalties Versus the Public Good
- Palliation, Quality of Life, Costs Involved
- Cultural Relativism and Western Medical Practice
- Professional Courtesy, Professional Impropriety, and Authenticity
- Profitable Medicine
- Medically Expensive Religious Belief