Production Editor (posted March 27, 2017)
The Production Editor will play a pivotal role in ensuring the successful, timely completion of projects in TEP’s evolving educational publishing program. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the entire production process on multiple projects simultaneously, and therefore must be a natural project manager with impeccable organizational skills and a keen eye to detail, quality, and timelines. Working closely with all members of the project team, the production editor will take day-to-day ownership of the project through the entire production process, from a developed manuscript to final content delivery. The production editor will also be responsible for managing freelancers and other vendors involved throughout the project (external editors, proofreaders, graphic designers, photo researchers, etc.). This position will have the opportunity to grow with TEP’s publishing program, and will focus on developing our digital production process to meet the needs of our growing digital publishing program.
Skills & Requirements
- Responsible for the successful, timely production of both single- and multi-component resource packages (textbooks, teacher’s guides, student workbooks) in both print and digital formats
- Preparation, organization, and ongoing management of all content and project files
- Plan and manage production processes and workflows to ensure timely, efficient completion of projects. Manage and adhere to project timelines and publication schedules.
- Manage third-party freelancers and contractors (editors, proofreaders, graphic designers, web-developers/designers, photo researchers, printers, etc.), as needed to ensure quality and timely delivery of services.
- Write original content, when required
- Liaise with authors, managing editors, and other internal and external stakeholders on an ongoing basis to maintain open communication regarding project updates.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar production role, preferably in educational textbook publishing
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in related field (publishing program is preferred)
- Experience with both print and digital content production
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, in particular InDesign and InCopy.
- Project Management experience (accreditation or certification preferred)
- Interest and passion for education
- Interest in digital content creation and delivery, digital publishing, and technology
- Assets: Web development and/or web design experience, HTML/CSS, graphic design